The Town of Islip Housing Authority strives to achieve effective and efficient delivery of decent, safe and affordable housing to eligible tenants and applicants, while maintaining an overall commitment to the local communities and governmental entities within the HA jurisdiction to promote adequate and affordable housing, economic opportunity and a suitable living environment free from discrimination.
The PHA shall comply with applicable Federal, State or local laws which shall be incorporated herein by reference even if not specifically stated. If the laws are applicable it is a requirement of the PHA to insure compliance.
The Housing Authority full listing of policy statements concerning Fair Housing and Non Discrimination policies can be found in Chapter 2 of the HA Section 8 Administrative Plan within this website.
- The following links provide information concerning Fair Housing and Accessibility rights, non discrimination information and provide links to file a complaint if you or anyone associated with you wants to file a discrimination complaint. The HA Accessibility Coordinator information is found at the bottom of this page.
- FHEO Home | HUD.gov / U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
- Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) | HUD.gov / U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) You can access information at the preceeding link
- Also see the PHA Policies page, Section 8 Admin plan for the following; A copy of the notice of occupancy rights under VAWA to housing choice voucher program applicants and participants who are or have been victims of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, or stalking (Form HUD-5380, see Exhibit 16-1). A copy of form HUD-5382, Certification of Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, Sexual Assault, or Stalking and Alternate Documentation (see Exhibit 16-2). A copy of the PHA’s emergency transfer plan (Exhibit 16-3) A copy of HUD’s Emergency Transfer Request for Certain Victims of Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, Sexual Assault, or Stalking, Form HUD-5383 (Exhibit 16-4)
- The National Domestic Violence Hot Line: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or
- 1-800-787-3224 (TTY) (included in Exhibits 16-1 and 16-2)
- Home – L.I. Against Domestic ViolenceL.I. Against Domestic Violence – Prevention. Support. Healing (liadv.org)
- Fair Housing its the Law from LIHP.org
- Fair Vivienda Equitativa Es La Ley LIHP.org
- HUD Fair Housing(file complaint)
- LI Housing Services (Fair Housing) see also LI Housing Services News (FH Cases)
- NYS Div. of Human Rights(file complaint)
- Please be advised that tenants of the units managed by the Housing Authority (Ockers, Penataquit, Allyn Dr, Smith Ave, Second Ave and Lakeview Ave) you can access information for DHR Notice PROVISION OF NOTICE BY HOUSING PROVIDERS OF TENANTS’ RIGHTS TO REASONABLE MODIFICATIONS AND ACCOMMODATIONS FOR PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES.
- For recipients of a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher, i.e. your landlord is not the Housing Authority, but you live in a unit subsidized by the Section 8 program, the rights provided in the Notice link above apply to your household, as well as unsubsidized renters, but you should contact your landlord to exercise any of the rights described in the Notice.
- Suffolk County Human Rights Commission
- NYS Lawful Source of Income Discrimination
- Section 8 Racial Equity Settlement
Test your Fair Housing Knowledge, click the learn tab in the quizlet below
Lesson 15: Civil Rights and Fair Housing: Pop Quiz Flashcards | Quizlet
Website Accessibility Statement
Generally this website strives to ensure that its services are accessible to people with disabilities. This website has invested in resources to help ensure that its website is made easier to use and more accessible for people with disabilities, with the strong belief that every person has the right to live free from discrimination and have equal access to programs opportunities.
Accessibility on isliphousingdemo.org makes available the UserWay Website Accessibility Widget that is powered by a dedicated accessibility server. The software allows isliphousingdemo.org to improve its compliance with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 2.1) and work to comply with Section 508.
Enabling the Accessibility Menu- the isliphousingdemo.org accessibility menu can be enabled by clicking the accessibility menu icon that appears on the corner/ right side of the page. After triggering the accessibility menu, please wait a moment for the accessibility menu to load in its entirety. The site also utilizes language translation built in (tab on the top and bottom of the pages) and an audio page reading button and/or through the UserWay app. If any of these features interfere with your own assistive programs, please contact the HA.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS Notice Under the Fair Housing Act, Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504.
In accordance with the requirements of the Fair Housing Act, Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, see the HUD/Dept. of Justice Joint Statement the Town of Islip Housing Authority will not discriminate against qualified individuals with disabilities on the basis of disability in the Housing Authority’s services, programs, or activities. Jackie Foster is designated as the 504 Accessibility Coordinator. firstname.lastname@example.org 631-589-7100 x226. 504 Accommodations Policies
Modifications to Policies and Procedures: The HA will consider reasonable accommodation requests to modify policies, facilities (units), procedures, rules and programs to ensure that people with disabilities have an equal opportunity to access and use all HA programs, services, and activities. For example, individuals with service or assistive animals are welcomed in HA offices and facilities, even where pets are generally prohibited. Jackie Foster is designated as the 504 Accessibility Coordinator. email@example.com 631-589-7100 x226. Please note each request will be considered on a case by case basis.
Employment: The HA does not discriminate on the basis of disability in its hiring or employment practices and complies with all regulations promulgated by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission under title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or applicable laws.
Effective Communication: The HA will generally, upon request, provide appropriate aids and services leading to effective communication for qualified persons with disabilities so they can participate equally in the Housing Authority programs, services, and activities, including qualified sign language interpreters, documents in Braille, and other ways of making information and communications accessible to people who have speech, hearing, or vision impairments. Language accessibility is available, please refer to the LEP/LAP plan.
If you are experiencing difficulty with any content on isliphousingdemo.org or require assistance with any part of our site, please contact us during normal business hours M-F 8-5 and we will be happy to assist.
Contact Us If you wish to report an accessibility issue, have any questions or need assistance, please contact isliphousingdemo.org Customer Support as follows:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Jackie Foster is designated as the 504 Accessibility Coordinator. email@example.com 631-589-7100 x226.
Web Browser Accessibility
Many popular browsers contain built-in accessibility tools.
Adobe Reader is required to view and print PDF documents that appear on this website.